Welcome to my little slice of cooking heaven. I love to cook and bake and want to share with you some of the wonderful things coming from my kitchen. Check back often, you never know what is next on my menu.


Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Grant's Birthday Cake


Boxed cake mix - classic white and devil's food - with homemade marshmallow creme filling and frosted using Wilton's Classic Buttercream (also known as Decorator Icing). I just finished a 4 week Wilton Course and was ready to try out my new skills.

Wilton Decorating Icing

1 cup shortening - use the cheap stuff
1 tsp flavoring - I add 4 tsp because it tastes better, use all one flavor or mix and match
7-8 tsp water - or milk, cream, juice, flavored syrup, flavored coffee creamer, etc.
1 tbsp meringue powder - optional but it helps the frosting to crust over, better for decorating
1 pound sifted powdered sugar - either use a 1 lb package or weigh it out, measuring by cups will be off

Cream shortening. Add flavoring and liquid. Mix together on low speed. Add meringue powder and powdered sugar and mix together on low speed. Do not hurry or use a higher speed - you want a smooth and dense product.

I add color during the liquid phase if I want something intense. You can add it once the frosting is all mixed too - liquid colorings will give you pale colors while gels and pastes will give more intense colors. This icing also dries darker. If you want black frosting start with a chocolate base.

This is STIFF consistency icing. Use it for roses.

MEDIUM consistency - add 1 tbsp of liquid. This is for borders, most flowers, etc.

SOFT consistency - add 2 tbsp of liquid. This is for icing the cake and doing writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment